[Esd-l] Need help with new install

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Wed Sep 24 05:40:03 PDT 2003

Sorry I'm jumping in late. I've been running RAM tests on my system.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Joe Steele wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 23, 2003 9:58 AM, Ed Kasky wrote:
> >
> > It seems to be picking up the LOGFILE variable as the procmail
> > executable.  I changed the log variable setting in /etc/procmailrc and
> > the error message reflected the change...
>
> Correct (sort of).  Procmail is attempting to filter messages by
> invoking a shell with the following command:
>
> perl -p -e '[loads of perl script ommitted]' 2>> $LOGFILE
>
> The error message '/bin/sh: /var/log/procmail/procmail: Permission
> denied' is saying that access to $LOGFILE is denied.  You've shown
> that /var/log/procmail/procmail exists and is world writeable, so
> that's not the problem.
>
> I would check the permissions for all directories in the path
> leading to /var/log/procmail/procmail to assure that normal users
> have access to the file.  (A normal user should be able to
> successfully execute 'echo test >> /var/log/procmail/procmail').
>
> Alternatively, set LOGFILE=/dev/null.

...or $HOME/procmail.log (per-user logfiles)

I thought that the "(logfile name): Permission denied" error message
was clear as to what the problem was. I'm a bit reluctant to add a
logfile writability test on every message, but I can. Votes?

Do I need to add a "try writing to the logfile as a normal user" step
to the installation instructions?

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                        pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79