[Esd-l] Sanitizing on Outgoing Mail

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Thu Dec 6 23:46:01 PST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, John D. Hardin wrote:

> The general solution for sanitizing every message passing through the
> server has not yet been successfully addressed that I am aware of -
> anybody care to remind me of something I'm missing? (Note that I'm
> sendmail-centric - other mail server packages may make this trivially
> easy.)

Back in dec/99 or jan/00, I started doing it this way, being inheirently
lazy (as well as a bad speller):

I use Procmail as my local delivery agent, so in my /etc/procmailrc
file, I add things like:

INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/html-trap2.procmail
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/bulkmailer-trap.procmail
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/msbloat-trap.procmail

with /etc/procmail being the directory I park John's nifty rc.* files.
At the top of my /etc/procmailrc, I add the appropriate:

POISONED_EXECUTABLES=/etc/procmail/poisoned # see note below
SECURITY_QUARANTINE="/var/adm/virus_quarantine"
....etc.

*Note. This does not work for aliases listed in the /etc/aliases
file. Those need to be piped directly to /etc/procmailrc like:

somealias: "|exec /usr/bin/procmail -m /etc/procmailrc.verp"

on a per alias basis.

Thanks for the great work John!

--Paul

--
Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson): "The surest sign that intelligent
life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact