[Esd-l] Holy cow!

Simon Matthews simon at paxonet.com
Tue Nov 5 12:27:00 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Scott Wiersdorf wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:20:58PM -0600, Brad Wyman wrote:
> > actualy i did get a lot of "Holy cow man" stuff that got caught by
> > spamassassin befor it even got to the sanitizer. i rearly run anything
> > marked as spam threw sanitiser, trying to save cpu time i "quarantine" it
> >  then later check for non spam and just dump it
>
> I run that in the reverse order: sanitizer first, then SA.
> Sanitizer/procmail is _far_ more efficient CPU-wise than SA/perl.
> Don't try shoving a 300k msg through SA, btw, unless you've got a
> *lightly* loaded server.

Scott,

Why would you run a 300k email through SA? I use a flag in procmail so
that SA only sees emails that are less than 150k. I don't think I have
ever seen a spam that is larger than 150k.

If you use spamc/spamd (I don't), it also skips emails that are larger
than 250k (IIRC).

However, I do  run the sanitiser then SA.

Simon