[Esd-l] Holy cow!

Scott Wiersdorf scott at perlcode.org
Tue Nov 5 12:56:02 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:26:34PM -0800, Simon Matthews wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Scott Wiersdorf wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:20:58PM -0600, Brad Wyman wrote:
> > > actualy i did get a lot of "Holy cow man" stuff that got caught by
> > > spamassassin befor it even got to the sanitizer. i rearly run anything
> > > marked as spam threw sanitiser, trying to save cpu time i "quarantine" it
> > >  then later check for non spam and just dump it
> >
> > I run that in the reverse order: sanitizer first, then SA.
> > Sanitizer/procmail is _far_ more efficient CPU-wise than SA/perl.
> > Don't try shoving a 300k msg through SA, btw, unless you've got a
> > *lightly* loaded server.
>
> Scott,
>
> Why would you run a 300k email through SA? I use a flag in procmail so
> that SA only sees emails that are less than 150k. I don't think I have
> ever seen a spam that is larger than 150k.

That's my point exactly. Unless you explicitly add a procmail
condition to prohibit it (or are running spamc/spamd which has a size
limit), SA will attempt to slurp the whole message (inefficiently)
which kills any server with large messages going through it.
Sanitizer/procmail doesn't have any problems with large messages.

All I was trying to convey was that sanitizer/procmail is better
suited to handling mail messages (of all sizes) generally and should
be put first in anyone's filter chain (that is, once it gets to the
LDA). Once sanitizer has weeded out all the stuff that would otherwise
kill spamassassin, then you can run SA and feel ok about it.

> If you use spamc/spamd (I don't), it also skips emails that are larger
> than 250k (IIRC).

Uh, I should have read ahead... ;o) You said it correctly.

Scott
--
Scott Wiersdorf
scott at perlcode.org