[Esd-l] Anyone got a procmail signature for Klez?

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Tue Apr 30 17:34:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Graham Dunn wrote:

> Just as an aside ... can/does the sanitizer use the envelope-from
> to reply to (rather than the From: in the message)? I hate to
> think I've been spamming the wrong people :/

The sanitizer uses formail to format the reply headers. Formail uses
the Return-Path: header if it is available, and the Klez worms I've
seen in my quarantine all seem to have valid Return-Path: headers. I
have noticed (now that I'm looking) that they do differ from the From:
headers, but they do seem to correspond more closely to the Received:
chain than the From: header address does.

I think the sanitizer is indeed responding to the correct address.

Check the headers in your notification messages, and the To: address
in your copy of the notify_sender message.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                       pgpk -a jhardin at wolfenet.com
  768: 0x41EA94F5 - A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76
 1024: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
 "They [media giants] have no idea how to do business with resourceful
  human beings rather than passive vegetables. So they run to [the]
  government for protection."
                    -- Doc Searls on the SSSCA, in Linux Journal