[Esd-l] Need help with new install

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Sep 23 08:08:13 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003 9:58 AM, Ed Kasky wrote:

> It seems to be picking up the LOGFILE variable as the procmail
> executable.  I changed the log variable setting in /etc/procmailrc and
> the error message reflected the change...

Correct (sort of).  Procmail is attempting to filter messages by invoking a
shell with the following command:

perl -p -e '[loads of perl script ommitted]' 2>> $LOGFILE

The error message '/bin/sh: /var/log/procmail/procmail: Permission
denied' is saying that access to $LOGFILE is denied.  You've shown
that /var/log/procmail/procmail exists and is world writeable, so
that's not the problem.

I would check the permissions for all directories in the path
leading to /var/log/procmail/procmail to assure that normal
users have access to the file.  (A normal user should be able
to successfully execute 'echo test >> /var/log/procmail/procmail').

Alternatively, set LOGFILE=/dev/null.

--Joe