[Esd-l] Re: Sanitizer 1.136 and older versions of Perl

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Thu Oct 24 20:31:01 PDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Joe Steele wrote:

>     substr ($filen,64,32,"...") while (length($filen) > 120);       #\
>
> With great shame, I admit that the version of Perl in use was only
> 5.004_04.

Ouch!

It's supported in 5.004_05, which is what I do my development on.

> This all brings up the point that the Sanitizer's website says
> nothing more than "You must have Perl installed."  There's no
> mention of a minimum compatible version.

I guess I figured my development platform was old enough that it
wouldn't be a problem. I'll note that the minimum version is now
5.004_05.

> For any of you using older versions of Perl, you may want to
> investigate whether the substr issue affects you.  Alternatively,
> you might try the patch which follows, keeping in mind that "I
> don't know Perl" (corrections from Perl experts welcomed).

I'll try that and if it works post it in the devel release.

Sorry for the booboo.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                        pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79