[Esd-l] LOGGING

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Fri Nov 15 18:45:01 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Kosmas Skiadopoulos wrote:

> I have notice when i have debug turned on that i see perl code
> echoed in the screen exactly like the like the output below. I
> have a feeling that this code is not executed bu only echoed in
> the screen. Is this true?

Nope. Verbose procmail logging logs the filter scripts that mail is
passed through. The sanitizer is an unreasonably large filter script.
This is expected behavior, and the mail *is* being sanitized - unless,
of course, you get some error message about the perl script then
failing...

>  Checking document "Costas Petrogiannis2.doc" for stripping.
>  Checking "Costas Petrogiannis2.doc" for stripping.
>  Mangling executable filename "Costas Petrogiannis2.doc".

You wouldn't see these log messages if the sanitizer was not
processing the message.

> procmail: Assigning "INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/local-rules.procmail"

Important note: the local rules suggested on the website must be run
*BEFORE* the sanitizer (html-trap) script or they have no effect.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                        pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79