[Esd-l] Once procmail starts running, logging changes

Mark_Saunders Mark_Saunders at piucorp.com
Wed Nov 6 06:21:02 PST 2002

I noticed that my maillog was also not appending on my machine.
I also noticed there were entries in the messages file: "ipop3d[19491]:
Login failure user="
Furthermore, I had received a few calls from users indicating they couldn't
retrieve mail.

I resolved this by allowing more "pops" per minute in the inetd.conf file,
like this:
pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait.400  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd      ipop3d
This will allow 400 pop requests per minute before the pop daemon resets.

I only made this change this AM, so I don't have a track record on the
solution yet, but maillog is now appending, and nobody has called indicating
they can't retrieve mail. Perhaps it'll work for you.

John Lang wrote:

> Now that I finally have procmail running, it is logging to procmail.log.
> However, the data that would normally go to the maillog has stopped.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> I used the maillog to view POP3 connections and the status of messages
> sent and inbound.
>
> John

mv $win /dev/null