[Esd-l] Setup and configuration

Bjarni R. Einarsson bre at klaki.net
Wed Nov 6 03:37:01 PST 2002

On 2002-11-06, 03:23:03 (-0800), esd-l-request at spconnect.com wrote:
> > I have a few stubborn customers who do not want me to filter any
> > type of their mail.  So, I would like to enable procmail and
> > sanitizer on individual mailboxes.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> Sure. Procmail is *very* flexible.
>
> It's fairly easy to set up, but it can become a maintenance hassle if
> many users want to be excluded. Giving the end-users the ability to
> control it for themselves makes it somewhat more complex but relieves
> you of maintenance.
>
> I'll give a basic example. Others who may have more direct experience
> with doing this can chime in with their suggestions.

One way to make this sort of thing easier to manage, is to simply
check the user's home directory for a "flag file" which disables the
check.  I wrap the anti-spam/anti-virus procmails on my friends &
family box with rules like this:

## EXCEPTIONS FROM SPAM PROTECTION
:0
* ! ? test -f /home/$LOGNAME/.wantspam
{

<... insert anti-spam rules here ...>

} # END OF ESCAPING FOR EXCEPTIONS FROM SPAM PROTECTION

Thus if your users know how to create/delete files, they can easily
opt in/out of the spam protection (or whatever else you're doing in
/etc/procmailrc).  This sort of approach is also very easy to
interface with CGI scripts, since turning something on or off is
simply a matter of doing a "touch" or "rm". :-)

Obviously the flag files don't have to be kept in the user's home
directory - you could just as easily keep them somewhere else.  This
may be better if you're writing CGI scripts which don't have
permission to mess with users's home directories.

 bre at klaki.net                -><-              http://bre.klaki.net/

Check out my open-source email sanitizer: http://mailtools.anomy.net/
Spammers, please send plenty of email to: agoat at klaki.net