[Esd-l] Worm(?) warning

Scott Taylor scott at dctchambers.com
Mon Jun 24 07:33:00 PDT 2002

At 05:25 PM 23/06/2002, John D. Hardin wrote:
>Hey, all.
>
>Over the weekend I've gotten two messages that are rather suspicious:
>messages with file attachments from people that I don't regularly
>correspond with.
>
>What's odd is that the file attachments were named "Nieuw -
>Tekstdocument.DOC" and "Nieuw - Tekstdocument.ZIP", yet they were both
>Windows executables.

Isn't that special?  Looks like M$ has done it to us again.

>I don't know whether this is a clumsy user or a clumsy worm, as I
>don't think either would actually get executed if double-clicked.

More like a clumsy OS, trying to make the lives of computer illiterates
easier, however more dangerous.

>Anyway, FYI. Probably yet another attack of some sort.
>
>I'm beginning to think that the sanitizer should do some very limited
>signature scanning, just enough to identify Windows PE format and
>mangle if the attachment matches that regardless of the filename.

That's not a bad idea, but there you go again trying to keep up with the
ever changing, ever elusive, M$ world of tricks and tics.  Might be best to
make another module for this, so you can easily add rules to look for
inside these  files.

Regards,

Scott.