[Esd-l] macro scanner: defang instead of refuse

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Mon Jun 3 15:57:00 PDT 2002

On 3 Jun 2002, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> Somewhere I read that some "cleaners" leave the deactivated virus
> in Office so its remnants show up in all future files. (Anyone
> know where I read this?)

Probably here. That's been my observation; I've looked at some
documents with large macro scores using vi and seen what looked like
mangled VBA virus code.

> I wonder if OpenOffice has separate command line converters that
> could be run inline to do the doc-rtf-doc conversion before it
> hits the user's mailbox?

That'd be slick, but a rather heavyweight solution...

> Has anyone worked out a better way than email to share documents between
> groups, esp. when the composition of the groups is constantly changing?
> Windows shares are the first thing that comes to mind, but I fear
> managing the group memberships would become prohibitive as the
> membership changes frequently. IMO that's why email is so popular for
> file sharing.

How is managing a group membership list easer than managing a mailing
list alias entry (or delegating individual mailing list management
onto a dozen or more users)?

Some points to ponder:

1. a shared file area can be backed up

2. a shared file area can be easily scanned

3. the shared file area will always have the current revision

4. base-64 encoding a file causes it to grow in size by about 40%

5. do you *really* want to be devoting all that disk space to peoples'
inboxes and sent mail folders storing multiple copies of already
bloated Word documents that are 40% larger simply because they're in a
mailbox as a file attachment?

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                        pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
  768: 0x41EA94F5 - A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76
 1024: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
 "To disable the Internet to save EMI and Disney is the moral
  equivalent of burning down the library of Alexandria to ensure the
  livelihood of monastic scribes."
                                    -- John Ippolito of the Guggenheim