[Esd-l] Redirect to Nimda doesn't work?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Mon Sep 24 09:48:01 PDT 2001

At 07:55 AM 9/24/2001, Brian Hanna wrote:

>It appears that redirects sent back to Nimda wouldn't work.

I don't see why it would! Nimda would have to be built to recognize
and honor them.

As for mailing administrators: The big problem, as usual, is that
many of the people who are naive enough to use Windows 2000 as a Web
server are also naive about their duties as administrators. They
usually do not read incoming mail addressed to "admin" or "webmaster".
One company whose infected server was attacking everything in our
Class C once every three minutes told us, "Oh, our computer guy will
come by sometime next week and maybe he'll take care of it."

We firewalled them and sent logs to their ISP. We resisted the
temptation to use the vulnerability exploited by the worm to shut down
their server. But believe me, it did cross our minds.

--Brett