[Esd-l] badtrans ad infinitum

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Thu Nov 29 21:54:01 PST 2001

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Gerard MANNIG wrote:

> A 06:49 28/11/01 -0800, John D. Hardin icrit:
> >My quarantine overfloweth.
> >
> >Does anybody know BillG's email address so we can all do something
> >useful with these damned things?
>
> Instead of joking, discard M$ crap and swap to competing software.

I'm only slightly joking. Causing BillG some personal discomfort over
this is probably the only way it'll ever get fixed. Unfortunately the
email address <billg at microsoft.com> probably goes through at least a
dozen flunky-filters before getting to the boss.

> Just would like to point out that this virus strikes ONLY the hard
> disks M$ crap has been isntalled on. Period.

Sorry, Gerard, but impsec.org doesn't use M$ crap anywhere (the
webserver or my systems at home), and yet I'm still getting hit by up
to ten of these PER HOUR. The fact that I'm not infected doesn't mean
I'm not suffering.

Exacerbating the problem is the fact that BadTrans is also an
autoresponder, so their worm and my security system will start dueling
with each other. It's a good thing BadTrans gives up first.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                       pgpk -a jhardin at wolfenet.com
  768: 0x41EA94F5 - A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76
 1024: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  In 1998 more than three times as many people in the US were killed
  by incompetent physicians than were killed by handguns, yet the
  President of the A.M.A. is adopting "gun safety" as his platform.