[Esa-l]Squid ACLs for webmail

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Tue Jul 24 16:48:15 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, clark shishido wrote:

> instead of multiple ACL definitions and statements, with a
> redirector like squirm you can regex the URL and send them off to
> a notallowed.html or sorry.html page. It's safer to restart the
> redirectors than having to restart squid everytime you change the
> ACL list in squid.conf.
>
> http://www.senet.com.au/squirm
>
> It's not a poison list, just another tool we can use to gently
> enforce some security.

Here's an alternative using just Squid ACLs. Comments (as always)
solicited...

/etc/squid/webmails contains:

	email\.cnn\.com
	hotmail\.com
	hotmail\.msn\.com
	inbox\.excite\.com
	mail\.chek\.com
	mail\.yahoo\.com
	mailchek\.com
	passport\.com
	webmail\.netscape\.com

/etc/squid/executables contains:

	\.asd$
	\.bat$
	\.chm$
	\.com$
	\.dll$
	\.exe$
	\.hlp$
	\.hta$
	\.js$
	\.lnk$
	\.ocx$
	\.pif$
	\.reg$
	\.scr$
	\.shb$
	\.shs$
	\.vb$
	\.vbs$
	\.vbe$
	\.wsc$
	\.wsf$
	\.wsh$

Add the following to your /etc/squid.conf file:

	acl WEBMAIL dstdom_regex -i "/etc/squid/webmails"
	acl EXECUTABLE urlpath_regex -i "/etc/squid/executables"

	# hazardous executables from WebMail services
	http_access deny WEBMAIL EXECUTABLE

Whenever you edit webmails or executables, run "squid -k reconfigure".
This is faster than restarting the proxy.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ   ICQ#15735746   http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org        pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin