[Esd-l] Re: web page for infected unsophisticated user?

Matt McNamara mmcnamara at emed.com
Thu Dec 20 08:49:15 PST 2001

John,

I've found the "Home Network Security" document at CERT to be a good
starting point for unsophisticated users.  It answers many common
security questions including ones pertaining to viruses, worms and
trojan horses.

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html

CERT also has a page with "Computer Virus Resources" which makes another
good starting point.

http://www.cert.org/other_sources/viruses.html

Here is a good link from Symantec, obviously tilted towards Norton
Antivirus:

What is the difference between viruses, worms, and Trojans?

http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999041209131106

I usually point inquisitive people to the CERT "Home Network Security"
document and the Symantec Antivirus Research Center http://www.sarc.com  .

Hope you find these links useful.

--
Matt McNamara