[Esd-l] Weird behavior on some attachments

Mark Wendt wendt at kingcrab.nrl.navy.mil
Thu Dec 20 05:07:01 PST 2001

Arrrrggghhhh,

	Microshite Outhouse!!!!!  Doing it to me again....  Outhouse 2000 and
2002, acting outside the normal bounds of the email world.  But why should
that surprise me?  I send an attachment from Eudora with a ".exe"
attachment, mail goes to the server, I pop the server, get the email with
the attachment stripped.  Perfect. Just want I want.  I send the same
attachment through Outhouse 2002, mail goes to the server, I pop the
server, get the email back, and find that the attachment has been seen as a
UUE attachment, and it mangles the extension.  So, I says to me self, self,
WTF?  I figure what the hell, lets try Outhouse 2000.  I sends the email
with the ".exe" attachment through Outhouse 2000, mail goes to the server,
I pop the server, get the email back, and lo and behold - behavior unlike
any other!!!!  This time, the attachment is seen as a MIME attachment, and
the attachment is supposedly stripped, at least I don't see the attachment
as an attachment, but guess what?  The whole damned attachment is now
99.999% of the body of the email in all it's glorious MIME gobbledy gook.

	Oh great Sanitizer Gods, how can I make the Sanitizer behave (I know I
can't make the Microshite products behave.....) the same for the M$
products as they do for most normal email clients.  I just want to strip
the attachment completely off, leaving the body of the email intact.

Thanks,
Mark Wendt
System/Network Admin
Naval Research Lab