[Esd-l] web page for infected unsophisticated user?

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Tue Dec 18 19:55:01 PST 2001

Does anybody know of a good web page that describes what email worms
are, how you get infected, and how you clean up afterward, written at
the level of the very casual (unsophisticated) computer user?

One person who got a bounce notice contacted me. I suggested she get
AV software. She just wrote back and said that it reported she was
infected by seventeen (!) viruses.

I'm spending more time than I really want to writing polite,
informative replies to people who contact me and don't know what's
going on. I'd like to be able to direct them to a website, if one
already exists, for the bulk of the information they should have.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                       pgpk -a jhardin at wolfenet.com
  768: 0x41EA94F5 - A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76
 1024: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  In 1998 more than three times as many people in the US were killed
  by incompetent physicians than were killed by handguns, yet the
  President of the A.M.A. is adopting "gun safety" as his platform.