[Esa-l] Outgoing Mail

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Tue Aug 14 06:49:20 PDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Lee Howard wrote:

> And, my orignial comments were to say that IMHO to run an outbound
> mail filter in addition to an antivirus program running on the
> desktop is obsessive and wasteful in exchange for the very small
> degree of added security it gives us.

I disagree. I wish I'd had outbound filtering a few months back when
one of my users get a virus from an attachment retrieved from a
personal webmail service and unwittingly attacked a few of our
clients. Fortunately internal propagation was stopped by the inbound
filtering.

This was before I posted a policy of No Webmail Attachments.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ   ICQ#15735746   http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org        pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin