[Esd-l] Discouraging SECURITY_NOTIFY_SENDER

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Tue Sep 9 06:34:14 PDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Juan Maria Gil wrote:

> Hi John and everybody else,
>
> I've been noticing that quite a few administrators keep the option
> SECURITY_NOTIFY_SENDER active thus flooding innocent people with
> false warings. As everybody knows, nowdays there's hardly a virus
> which doesn't forge the return addresses making this option quite
> useless.
>
> What I'm suggesting is to place a big warning on the Sanitizer
> documentation near this option discouraging the use of it. If it
> defaulted to '', it would be even better.

It does default to "off" - do you mean take it out of the sample
/etc/procmailrc file?

I agree, the documentation should cover this in some more detail.

I had hoped the smart suppression would reduce a lot of the useless
notifications. Does anybody have an opinion on whether it's actually
helping?

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                        pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
What nuts do with guns is terrible, certainly. But what evil or crazy
people do with *anything* is not a valid argument for banning that item.
                                  -- John C. Randolph <jcr at idiom.com>