[Esd-l] error on procmail

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Fri Sep 5 20:47:32 PDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Adi Linden wrote:

> I came across this in the archive but didn't see a solution anywhere.
>
> > > I also get this in the file every time it runs
> > >
> > > <---snip---
> > > type: type: No such file or directory
> > > type: type: No such file or directory
> > > ---snip--->
> >
> > That's odd. I thought "type" was a shell builtin.
> >
> > Can you run "type mktemp" when you log in normally?
>
> I am getting the same errors when running procmail. The 'type'
> command is indeed a shell builtin:
>
>     [adilinden at yoda adilinden]$ type mktemp
>     mktemp is /bin/mktemp
>
> And there is no binary in the filesystem:
>
>     [adilinden at yoda adilinden]$ which type
>     /usr/bin/which: no type in (/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/mailusers/adilinden/bin)

...are you doing something masochistic, like running the sanitizer
under csh?

> Any suggestions on how I can get rid of the pesty 'type:...' error
> generated by procmail?

..."type" doesn't appear as a bare command in the sanitizer, local
rules, or opt-out preprocessor that I can see.

As far as I can remember, the only time "type" has ever been used in
association with the sanitizer is when somebody's trying to figure out
why the macro scanner is failing, and I recommend adding "LOG=`type
mktemp`" so that we can see whether the program is visible in the
procmail execution environment.

Check that you don't have a debugging LOG= somewhere in your
/etc/procmailrc or other scripts.

That said, the only reason I can see for "type" failing is using csh
instead of sh/ksh/bash/etc.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                        pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  ...the Fates notice those who buy chainsaws...
                                              -- www.darwinawards.com