SpamAssassin running before Sanitizer rules (was Re: [Esd-l] Properly posted question per your requirements)

Scott Taylor scott at dctchambers.com
Thu Jun 26 09:51:41 PDT 2003

At 09:32 06/26/03, you wrote:
> > Do you have a ".procmailrc" file in the user's $HOME?
> >

>no, only server wide
>
> >How about:
> >:0fw: spamassassin.lock
> >* < 256000
> >| spamassassin

See the spamassassin readme files or http://spamassassin.org/dist/INSTALL
better when you get a more up-to-date version.

> > grep sendmail.cf for "spam", "proc" and "Mlocal" entries
>
>[root at iserv1 mail]# cat /etc/mail/sendmail.cf | grep proc
>
>#####  $Id: local_procmail.m4,v 8.21 1999/11/18 05:06:23 ca Exp $  #####
>#####  $Id: local_procmail.m4,v 8.21 1999/11/18 05:06:23 ca Exp $  #####
># how many jobs can you process in the queue?
># deliver each queued job in a separate process?
># what user id do we assume for the majority of the processing?
># Prefix string for the process title shown on 'ps' listings
>#####  $Id: procmail.m4,v 8.22 2001/11/12 23:11:34 ca Exp $  #####
>Mprocmail,    P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhnu9, S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP,
>R=EnvToSMTP/HdrFromSMTP,
>               A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u
>Mlocal,       P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
>S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
>               A=procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u

As long as that is your currently running sendmail config then procmail is
the local delivery agent.  Nothing wrong here, that I can see.

> > What makes you think SpamAssassin is running ahead of the Sanitizer rules,
> > in the first place?
>
>well ever since we installed spamassassin, alot of the attachments that used
>to be stripped or sanitized no longer are. It appears that spamassassin is
>taking complete priority over the sanitizer.

Try updating both of them, especially the sanitizer.  I don't think that
SpamAssassin changes attachments in any way, or the way they are attached,
only adds a couple of headers, and the spam report, if you have that
configured.  I don't think think this is your problem.

What OS and version are you running, how much email does it receive, what
hardware is it running on and what is the output of
perl -V