[Esd-l] Poison Files

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Wed Jan 22 22:05:01 PST 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Scott Taylor wrote:

> Strange, I don't remember having to mess with the MANGLE list
> before, except when mail is coming from in-house so .doc and .xls
> don't get mangled.  Is this new for this version, or is my brain
> damaged?  Been working too hard maybe?

Nope. The original design was to mangle executable attachments by
filename extension. That grew into giving the option to poison
specific executable filenames, then strip specific executable
filenames, hence the relationship between MANGLE and POISON/STRIP.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                        pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  The fetters imposed on liberty at home have ever been forged out
  of the weapons provided for defense against real, pretended, or
  imaginary dangers from abroad.
                                            -- James Madison, 1799