[Esd-l] Binary file problems in sanitizer

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Sat Nov 30 20:00:01 PST 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Thomas Nyman wrote:

> document, but it also seems to change the mime type from binary to
> text with the result that I cant open the word document even after
> I change the "defanged-name". Can anyone explain why this is and
> if I can do something about it?

That was a change made to the last version of the sanitizer in an
attempt to bypass Windows' magic scanning for APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM
MIME types. Apparently it was a bad idea, since mailers want to treat
the application as text, and alter the file as it is saved.

> I simply want sanitizer to defang the document so you have to make
> a filename change before opening it, but I dont want to corrupt
> the file, which seems to be the case now.

Try the development snapshot, it now mangles to APPLICATION/DEFANGED.
Let me know if you have further problems.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                        pgpk -a jhardin at impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79