[Esd-l] Filename mangling

Graham Dunn gdunn at inscriber.com
Tue Jun 25 06:54:00 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:09:37PM +0100, Murray Crane wrote:
> Hi all,

[snip]

> Given that my userbase has to use Outlook (our database software is
> closely tied into it), is there any way, other than filename
> mangling, of preventing Outlook doing it's automagic evilness?

Apply the Microsoft Office security updates ... If that manager thinks
that unmangling file names is a hassle, just wait until Outlook tells
him there's an attachment, but that he _cannot_ look at it :]

Beware that you need to reinstall Office to remove that particular
update.

Given the discussion of Outlook automagically determining file types,
regardless of extension, is mangling Office doc filenames even
worthwhile in that situation?

Graham