[Esd-l] Filename mangling

Murray Crane mcrane at longbridge.com
Tue Jun 25 06:12:01 PDT 2002

Hi all,

One of the senior managers here has recieved a few complaints about
having to demangle attachments (a 5 second job at most, these people
don't know a good thing when they've got it...) and has (practically)
demanded that we stop mangling Word documents.

Both myself and my manager (who does know a good thing when he sees
it, even though he's a bit of a PoB) have flatly stated that we are
*very* uncomfortable about doing this and are in the process of
drafting documents over why, but my question to the group is:

Given that my userbase has to use Outlook (our database software is
closely tied into it), is there any way, other than filename
mangling, of preventing Outlook doing it's automagic evilness?

On a side note John, if we are forced to stop mangling documents (and
this will be a resignation matter for me) will that have any other
side effects I need to be aware of?  I.e. is the macro scoring tied
into the mangler?

Kind regards

Murray Crane			Tel: +44 (0)20 7208 5858
Network Systems Administrator	Fax: +44 (0)20 7208 5859
Longbridge International Plc		http://www.longbridge.com

=====
If you receive a non-delivery report [NDR] or "bounce" as a result of
a reply to this message, please forward it to gracechurchstreet at hotmail.com
(including full Internet headers if at all possible) so that Longbridge
International IT support staff can diagnose the cause and correct it.

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: D5C2 0387 608B 3283  FFD7 A042 72A5 AB5A