[Esd-l] macro scanner: defang instead of refuse

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Tue Jun 4 10:18:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 08:37, John D. Hardin wrote:

> Oh. I was proceeding from the assumption that it'd be a centralized
> share on a server, where you would control the access via NT group
> membership, not a share on an individual user's computer managed by
> that user.

As a *nix admin, I've always found sharing rights on Windows to be
highly non-intuitive, and sharing from a workstation seems to require
the creation of a user account for the client. So we have a public share
on the server with a directory for each user, and savvier users dump
things in a user's directory there and then send an email letting him
know it's there.

Anyone know of a HOWTO for Windows sharing that explains how the
permissions system works, esp. with regard to sharing from a
workstation?

(No need to cc me in your reply, I'll read it on the list.)