[Esd-l] macro scanner: defang instead of refuse

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Mon Jun 3 10:24:01 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 09:25, Scott Taylor wrote:

> Tell your upper management that they are asking you to send through an
> unsecured document.  Someone down the line obviously has a virus, I don't
> see how there can possibly be, "but not infected any longer" when the macro
> is still being passed.

We're working on tracking down the culprit.

Somewhere I read that some "cleaners" leave the deactivated virus in
Office so its remnants show up in all future files. (Anyone know where I
read this?) I'd guess it's sitting in a template file and gets inserted
into all docs created. Would this affect files originated on another
system? Ie. can we narrow this down to the original author of the
document?

> You can edit the hold file, remove the security parts and append the file
> to your own mail box.  Try opening the file with StarOffice, or hold the
> shift key down while clicking on the file (doesn't always work) to open
> Word with Macros disabled.

I wonder if OpenOffice has separate command line converters that could
be run inline to do the doc-rtf-doc conversion before it hits the user's
mailbox?

Has anyone worked out a better way than email to share documents between
groups, esp. when the composition of the groups is constantly changing?
Windows shares are the first thing that comes to mind, but I fear
managing the group memberships would become prohibitive as the
membership changes frequently. IMO that's why email is so popular for
file sharing.