[Esd-l] Alternatives to Sanitizer

Graham Dunn gdunn at inscriber.com
Thu Jul 18 06:48:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 08:30:42PM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On a couple of other lists (SpamAssassin and DShield) I've heard mention
> of other mail scanners that sound like they do things similar to
> Sanitizer. Does anyone on this list have any experience with MIMEDefang
> (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/) or MailScanner
> (http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/)? How do they compare to
> the Sanitizer? Advantages/disadvantages or different intended target?

I've been experimenting with mimedefang / spamassassin now for about 4
months in a gateway configuration (no local users on the mailhost,
forwarding to an exchange server).

Mimedefang itself is a very basic filtering tool, but provides a very
powerful framework to plug things like spammassassin / Anomy into it
(has there ever been any work on getting the sanitizer into the
mimedefang framework?).

Plusses:

o	runs as a milter, so multiple sendmails per message (in
gateway configuration) is avoided, lowering overhead.

Minuses:

o	runs as a milter, so sendmail only (if you're not a sendmail
shop).

Graham