[Esd-l] Klez@ worm/virus

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Thu Apr 18 21:33:01 PDT 2002

At 08:52 PM 4/18/2002, John D. Hardin wrote:

>I keep seeing these worms being announced, and I keep thinking about
>my default-secure stance, and I keep thinking that I'm going to drop
>*.exe into the recommended poison list on principle.
>
>How badly would this annoy people?

We hesitated for a long time before doing it, and it turned out that
almost no one was ever sending exe's. They were downloading them via
FTP or HTTP or uploading them to servers, but not mailing them.

We've had far more problems blocking messages with wmz attachments
than blocking exe's. I'm not sure why.... Some Microsoft app must
be attaching them to e-mails.

--Brett