[Esd-l] filter bypass HOW?

Chris Payne cpayne at pr.uoguelph.ca
Thu Sep 27 06:00:04 PDT 2001

I have been filtering a lot of common file(mime) types
just as a general rule to prevent the spread of viruses,
and it works.

We know that there are legitimate reasons to send
DLL or self-extracting EXE files between the tech
people, so we ask them to use PKZIP or WINZIP
to package the file(s) so that they do pass through
the sanitizer.

Of course, the other 400 users in my dept aren't
very savvy and wouldn't bother to learn how to
ZIP files, which saves our bacon  :)

- Chris Payne