[Esd-l] Badtrans signature for local-rules

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Mon Nov 26 14:06:51 PST 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> If I am already trapping double extensions using the sanitizer then
> haven't I already secured myself.  Why this extra selection?

> > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.html"

Primarily so *that* URL gets sent back to whoever attacked you. It may
help them get their system cleaned up more quickly.

This rule is also far more lightweight than the full sanitizer, and if
you're under a storm of these attacks coming in, it will reduce the
processing load on your mail server. 1.130+ bypasses the full
sanitizer if the message already contains the "QUARANTINE ME" header.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org                       pgpk -a jhardin at wolfenet.com
  768: 0x41EA94F5 - A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76
 1024: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  In 1998 more than three times as many people in the US were killed
  by incompetent physicians than were killed by handguns, yet the
  President of the A.M.A. is adopting "gun safety" as his platform.