[Esa-l] Convincing Users to Patch

Bjarni R. Einarsson bre at klaki.net
Wed May 2 18:23:43 PDT 2001

On 2001-05-02, 16:40:05 (-0300), Andre Kajita - Administrador da Rede wrote:

> I've met some REALLY thick skulled people before and started a few
> dozen flamewars (won most of them due to my ability to go down to
> shear violence and foul language) but I'm getting older and I'd like
> to have a more 'grown up' approach to this.  :)

I just thought I'd play devil's advocate a little bit here - the
users who don't want to patch are right.  They shouldn't have to
keep aware of the patch-of-the-week.  That's not their job
(unless they are techies).

Your issue should be with the users' system administrator (and
ultimately Microsoft), or your own system which is making his
problems (which aren't actually causing you any trouble, are
they?) irritate to you for some reason.

This is why I'm adamantly against programs which yell at the
system administrator every time the *solve* a problem.  They
just irritate already overworked admins for no good reason, and
also have a signifigant "little boy who cried wolf" effect: if
99% of an admin's email is crap then the chances that he'll
notice the important 1% aren't as high as they should be - and
the chances that he'll waste time and energy dealing with crap
(like this) go way up.

Just food for thought. :-)

Good luck with your problem though...

 bre at klaki.net                -><-              http://bre.klaki.net/