[Esa-l] Convincing Users to Patch

Chris Payne cpayne at pr.uoguelph.ca
Wed May 2 15:28:08 PDT 2001

It takes a piece of lumber known as a 2x4 and some extreme
swinging on your part.

This has been a problem with my 325 "L"-type users (lusers),
and their artificial feeling of supremacy over the IT Guy"tm"  (me).

By installing Johns' Sanitizer, I nearly lost my job due to
invasion of privacy (duh? ), until the Director of our department
received five infected emails during the time I was being
turned into a "raped-ape" in his office.   The impact hit home
for him when the viruses being intercepted were from the
VP of our organization (fratricide at its best).

All of a sudden, me (the IT guy) is a hero. This BOFH doesn't
accept appologies very lightly.  Almost always, you have to
"DRAW A PICTURE" for your users. They can't comprehend
the impact of their unbridled access on the Windoze OS.

It just makes you angry when you are protecting the users
from themselves, and they don't care to play along.

- Chris Payne