[Esa-l] Outgoing Mail

Lee Howard faxguy at deanox.com
Mon Aug 13 12:13:51 PDT 2001

At 03:05 PM 8/13/01 -0400, Eric Brosius wrote:
>Hello all.  I've just installed the "sanitizer" last week, and I love it!!
>It's great.  I've let John know that too.  I wanted to see how everyone is
>handling outgoing mail since the sanitizer doesn't "scan" it.  The only
>thing we've thought about so far, was implementation a second email server,
>and forward all our mail from our primary mail server out thought the 2nd
>email server, so that the sanitizer would catch it.  But I'd like to see on
>how the effort is coming on scanning out going emails.  And information will
>be helpful!!  Thanks and have a nice day.

I'm probably not helping anything by saying this, but I don't really
understand the value of scanning outgoing mail.  If we assume that our
users are clean, then what is the value of scanning outgoing mail?

And if we cannot assume that our users are clean, then wouldn't it be
better to nip the problem in the bud rather than somewhere downstream?

I understand the purpose in scanning outgoing mail, but I don't understand
the value of it.  We scan incoming mail in an effort to ensure that we are
clean.  If we cannot ensure that we are clean ourselves, then why bother
scanning incoming mail, even?

Lee.