[Esa-l] Re: Felix Navidad ... Stripping Attachments

Bjarni Runar Einarsson bre at netverjar.is
Wed Nov 29 02:41:13 PST 2000

On 2000-11-28, 20:57:58 (-0800), John D. Hardin wrote:
> Any opinions anybody? An option to strip the poisoned attachment
> off instead of quarantining the message?

IMHO this is a feature all email sanitizers should have - mine has
had this since it's first release.  Works great.

Michael's example demonstrates quite well why this is important
- just because a message contains Evil Content doesn't mean that
it doesn't also contain an Important Message.  Essentially
Navidad is acting like a virus, instead of a worm.  This will
probably become more common as email virus/trojan/worm-writers
become more advanced.

IMHO it's vital that the recipient always receive as much of their
mail as is considered safe.  This is as close as security tools like
this can get to following the gentlemen's rule about mailers:
mailer's aren't supposed to alter or lose email.

One thing though... if you really are interested in switching to
Anomy development, wouldn't it be better to spend time becoming
familiar with my code than re-implementing it's features?  Just
a thought. :-) If there's anything I can do to help get you up to
speed don't hesitate to let me know.

 bre at netverjar.is              -><-             http://bre.klaki.net/

Netverjar gegn ruslpósti: http://www.netverjar.is/baratta/ruslpostur/