[esd-l] vacation forwarding

Scott Taylor scott at dctchambers.com
Mon Aug 28 08:23:28 PDT 2006

Hello all,

This is a very quiet list, I like that. ;)

I'm running a Linux mail server, Sendmail with procmail, John Harding's
wonderful recipes, and Spamassassin.

When I turn on vacation program through .forward ie:
 '\john, "|/usr/bin/vacation john"'
the users gets a lot of messages about unable to send to...
 503 No recipients specified
 451 4.4.1 reply: read error from xxx.xxxxxxxx.com.
 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

etc.

>From looking at some of these I'm guessing they are from trying to send
the vacation response to spammers, and poorly configured mail servers.
I'm swaying more toward the spammers, as there are so many.  Even though
the users don't receive any of the SPAM, because SpamAssassin takes good
care of it, it still hits the .forward.

Is there any thing I can do to stop the .forward from replying to the
spammers, or use procmail to skip the .forward when SPAM is detected?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Scott