[Esd-l] Mysterious failures

Albert McCann amc358 at rcn.com
Fri Jan 30 20:37:13 PST 2004

Our ISP is getting ready to enable spam filtering, and is already virus
filtering. Unfortunately, they are redirecting the infected messages to my
address. We are using the local-rules, and /dev/nul/ing the NovArgs. For the
last three days, over 3500 NovArgs were sent to me, where the local rules
and Sanitizer cheerfully ate them, as we added .ZIP to the Mangle list.

Some though, are getting through. I am seeing occasion messages where the
NovArg virus fake bounce messages are being bounced by real mail servers,
which then 'returns' the virus to us. The X-Virus-Pattern-Match: header line
is inserted by our ISP as part of the filtering process on their end, before
the messages are delivered to us. 'steve at septa.org' is a virus generated
address, we don't have anyone with that address.

Here is a header from one: (text continues below)