[Esd-l] Procmail fails on user .procmailrc since server upgrades

Chris Payne cpayne at pr.uoguelph.ca
Tue Feb 10 13:38:51 PST 2004

Hello everyone,  I have searched Google for any possible solutions to a
procmail problem, and even read the entire procmail faq. I have
accidentally damaged a new installation of sendmail/procmail.

A newly built Slackware linux email server, running a Dual-PIII 1.0 Ghz
on 2.4.x kernel(SMP) with 240 GB of Raid 5 array and 1.0 GB RAM.

* procmail v3.15.2
* sendmail v8.12.10
* various custom procmail filters
* Spambouncer
* John Hardins mail sanitizer

Ok,  here is where the trouble starts.  After a fresh installation of
Slackware 9.1, the critical resource files from our old Slackware 7.0
server were untarred onto the new box.(/home/users, /var/spool/mail/*,
/etc/passwd, etc)

Sendmail and Procmail refused to run.  Sendmail is a newer version than
what we were running prior and it requires that user and group "smmsp"
exist.

I followed the steps in the sendmail docs to recreate and reassociate the
groups and  priviledges for smmsp and voila the mail server works!
Servicing both incoming and outgoing mail very well.

The GLOBAL /etc/procmailrc processes fine, but now we see that the
/home/user/.procmailrc scripts fail miserably with ExitCode# 71 (unable
to fork).   Assume this means unable to become user?

I have checked the file permissions against another fresh install of
Slackware 9.1 on yet another new server, but have yet to find any
dissimilarities which are the cause of Procmail to fail on local user
.procmailrc files.

Are there any possible suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,