[Esd-l] Case for repetitive rule.

Simon Matthews simon at paxonet.com
Tue Nov 11 10:50:22 PST 2003

John, Philip,

At 08:00 AM 11/11/03 -0800, John D. Hardin wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Philip Choy wrote:
>
> > "Apply this rule after the message arrives
> > Where the From line contains validuser at income.com.sg'
> > Forward it to validuser at income.com.sg "
> >
> > The valid user can send an email with 1Mb size to himself and It
> > will create a loop by forwarding to himself and it will not stop.
> > ------------
> >
> > How will the procmail rule be used to prevent this situation?
>
>One possibility, off the top of my head (and thus untested):
>
><SNIP>

I don't think this is needed. Postfix has configurable limits. In this
case, there is a limit on the user's mailbox size. The loop will keep
happening until the user's mailbox reaches the maximum. It should not crash
or affect the server.  I assume Sendmail has similar configurable limits.

Only if the machine does not have sufficient disk space to support the
mailbox size limits will there be a problem. In this case adjusting the
limits is the solution.

Simon