[Esd-l] Why are urls in html decoded?

Anders Nielsen anielsen at diku.dk
Mon Mar 24 07:24:57 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 16:11, John D. Hardin wrote:
> The encodings are quite often used by spammers to confuse
> string-matching antispam filters. The sanitized decodes printable
> characters (alphanumerics and certain punctuation marks) so that
> something like "%46%52%45%45", that has no legitimate reason to be
> encoded, becomes "FREE" and thus might contribute to the
> classification of a message as spam.
>
> This is about the only nod to spam filtering that the sanitizer makes.
>
> > I other words: Why is &q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jobindex.dk turned into
> > &q=http://www.jobindex.dk
>
> Did that break the link?

Thank you for your answer :-)

No, it didn't break the link.

I am writing a script that sends html mails. While I tested the script I
noticed that the sanitizer was changing my mails, so I though that my
script was sending incorrect html or Mime. But I doesn't seem to be the
case.

Best regards
  Anders Nielsen

--