[Esd-l] RE: Odd behavior with the new outbreak - Another Followup

Chris Rothbauer chris.rothbauer at intagio.com
Fri Aug 22 10:49:40 PDT 2003

One more note to hopefully help. I'm now subscribed to several of the internal distribution lists to catch more of these 'backscatter' messages.

One just came in that specifically stated:

A Virus has been detected in a mail message recently sent out by you.  Please contact your system administrator to correct the problem.  Your message has been quarantined and will not be delivered.

Attached was our own sanitizer security notice, replacing the infected attachment (a .pif). So this particular AV gateway sent the virus back and it WAS caught by sanitizer.

Might my original problem be that the notices are NDR's and are then unchecked by procmail? If so, it may be the location within the sendmail.cf.  Here is a snippet, and some of the surrounding macros. Should this be in a different location?

###  Ruleset 98 -- local part of ruleset zero (can be null)     ###

SParseLocal=98

# addresses sent to foo at host.REDIRECT will give a 551 error code
R$* < @ $+ .REDIRECT. >         $: $1 < @ $2 . REDIRECT . > < ${opMode} >
R$* < @ $+ .REDIRECT. > <i>     $: $1 < @ $2 . REDIRECT. >
R$* < @ $+ .REDIRECT. > < $- >  $#error $@ 5.1.1 $: "551 User has moved; please try " <$1@$2>

R$*<@$=R>$*     $#procmail $@/etc/procmail/filt.rc $:$1<@$2.procmail.>
R$*<@$=R.>$*    $#procmail $@/etc/procmail/filt.rc $:$1<@$2.procmail.>
R$*<@$*.procmail.>$*            $1<@$2.>$3

###   PROCMAIL Mailer specification   ###

#####  $Id: procmail.m4,v 8.22 2001/11/12 23:11:34 ca Exp $  #####

Mprocmail,      P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhnu9, S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP/HdrFromSMTP,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u