[Esd-l] ARRGGHH!! (SoBig tidal wave)

Scott Taylor scott at skot.org
Wed Aug 20 08:03:15 PDT 2003

At 10:10 PM 8/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>There is some speculation that the recent explosion of SoBig worms is
>from spammers trying to "recruit" new home computers to be relays
>because MS Blaster caused so many people to patch and AV scan their
>systems and thus closed a lot of their hijacked-for-relay personal
>systems...

I believe that the spammer cleverness level ends at pretty much writing
their messages in some form of obfuscated geek script.  Unless they
(spammers) have resorted to hiring Hackers to do this nasty work for
them.  'Tis a sad day indeed when Hackers have to lower themselves to the
level of spammers. :(

>100+ quarantine notices in my personal mailbox just today. The graph
>from my work is at:
>
>     http://boundary.aproposretail.com/~johnh/quarantine.html

That's kinda kewl. :)

>Death to spammers!

Spamming should be categorized as malicious computer crimes

>    74 days until Matrix Revolutions

Sweet :)