[Esd-l] Filename mangling

Scott Taylor scott at dctchambers.com
Fri Jun 28 08:10:01 PDT 2002

At 04:58 AM 28/06/2002, Murray Crane wrote:
>All,
>
>I'd just like to report another minor victory for the side of
>sense...
>
>Senior management took a look at the documents we prepared on the
>subject of the email security tool and decided that there really was
>no point in not mangling document attachments.  The rough stats I was
>able to produce about numbers of document attachments recieved kinda
>took all the wind out of the pointy-haired argument. (c. 100 per week
>with c. 7000 emails processed by the sanitizer... works out to 2
>documents per day per consultant...)

Way to go.

>I have since discovered the identity of the single individual in the
>company who didn't like the fact she had to go through an extra step
>to get into document attachments and I shall be remembering this for
>quite some time to come...

It helps to keep a database of that kind of crap, then 3 years down the
road, you hear that name again and you say to yourself, "hmm... what was it
about that person I had a problem with ... clickity click". :)

>My own personal thanks to all of you who replied to the thread.  Your
>input was most appreciated and helped make the report what it was.
>Once I have depersonalised it a bit I'll make available for others to
>make use of.

I'm Looking forward to it.  Maybe, if it fits the bill, John would be
willing to hang it on his site?  Always nice to have the extra ammo when
dealing with the close minded, stupidity of the PHBs.

:)

Scott.