[Esd-l] macro scanner: defang instead of refuse

Scott Taylor scott at dctchambers.com
Mon Jun 3 09:27:02 PDT 2002

At 09:06 AM 03/06/2002, you wrote:
>I'm getting a lot of hits from the macro scanner with scores like 141,
>and I'm suspecting these are from documents that were touched by someone
>who was previously infected but not infected any longer, and there are
>just viral fragments in the files. Some of these files pass through the
>hands of upper management, so there's some pressure to expedite getting
>them "automagically" past the scanner.

That file turns off macro-virus protection, do you really want to do that?

Tell your upper management that they are asking you to send through an
unsecured document.  Someone down the line obviously has a virus, I don't
see how there can possibly be, "but not infected any longer" when the macro
is still being passed.

>I think it would work if these files were just defanged and local IT
>personnel could defang and RTF-convert them. Is there a way to get this
>to happen?

You can edit the hold file, remove the security parts and append the file
to your own mail box.  Try opening the file with StarOffice, or hold the
shift key down while clicking on the file (doesn't always work) to open
Word with Macros disabled.