[Esd-l] Spam Filtering

Bill Larson blarson at compu.net
Wed Jul 31 02:47:01 PDT 2002

Simple spam control with few very few false positives.

FEATURE(`dnsbl', `blackhole.compu.net')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `list.dsbl.org')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `opm.blitzed.org')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `dun.dnsrbl.net',`dnsrbl refused - Dialup address use your
local mailserver')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `Dialups.relays.OsiruSoft.com',`osirusoft refused - Dialup
address use your local mailserver')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `inputs.relays.osirusoft.com')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `relays.ordb.org')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `Spamsites.relays.OsiruSoft.com')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `Spamhaus.relays.OsiruSoft.com')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `Spews.relays.OsiruSoft.com')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `flowgoaway.com')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `pm0-no-more.compu.net')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `blackholes.intersil.net')dnl

Statistics from Sat Jul 27 23:39:06 2002
 M   msgsfr  bytes_from   msgsto    bytes_to  msgsrej msgsdis  Mailer
 4    16,286     331,691K      3,474     20,5802K      259       0
esmtp
 9     5,312      212,449K    19,954     436,020K      509       0
local
 T    21,598     544,140K    23,428    64,1822K      768       0
 C    21,598                         23,428                     32,812

So I have rejected 33,812 spamming attempts roughly 42% of the connections
to the server using the above methods only in 4 days. Doing this I average
1-2 spams per day while without this I would average 50 plus to my personal
mail box. I get approx 1 user complaint/comment every 3 months from the
several thousand users on this box. blackhole.compu.net is where i add those
spam that slip though the other blackhole lists.

Bill Larson
Network Administrator
Compu-Net Enterprises