[Esd-l] Something new

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Thu Jan 31 10:44:00 PST 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 10:11, Floyd Pierce wrote:
> John, my users are about to drive me insane. We have a huge
> problem with people using FSCKing M$ products with which they
> manage to generate files only slightly less massive than a
> black hole and then send an e-mail to 50 users on our system
> with the big honking file as an attachment.

Sounds like you need a news server for this kind of thing. But then you
need a scanner for your news server.

You can set sendmail to limit the size of attachments. (It will truncate
the message and send a message back to the sender.) You can then educate
the offending users on how to share large files with the correct tools.
(For instance, put a passworded zip file in a public place.)

My users are mostly sane, so I've got my size limit set pretty big (16
MB) to allow the CAD people to send drawings to the dumber offsite
vendors without an FTP drop. (I had to set a limit after one user tried
to mail a 160 MB movie from the office to his home account, thinking
that would magically bypass his 56k home speed limit!)