[Esd-l] Stripping Attachments?

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Sun Jan 13 15:49:01 PST 2002

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, John D. Hardin wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Paul Thomas wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, John D. Hardin wrote:
> >
> > > NB: .eml is hazardous, as it's typically base64 encoded and thus not
> > > (yet) subject to defanging or attachment rules. Also note that .rtf
> >
> > What do you mean 'attachment rules', it's at least 'mangled'?
>
> Oh, If you're mangling EML you're probably okay then.

So then to strip alot of file extentions, but allow eml files and
have them mangled, I should exclude .eml from /etc/procmail/stripped
rather than from MANGLE_EXTENSIONS?

> Sorry, I wasn't clear. If the EML attachmetn itself has any
> attachments, they won't be sanitized.

Even if the .eml is mangled?

> > How does the sanitizer handle .rtf other than mangling?
>
> If it's actually .DOC format, it scans for macroe if you have macro
> scanning enabled.

I guess my above mangling question applies here also. But, are you
saying if a .rtf file comes along, the Sanitizer checks to see if
it is really a .DOC format then does the macro scan (if enabled)
but if it fails to be a .DOC, goes ahead and mangles according to
the MANGLE_EXTENSIONS list?

Thanks,

--Paul

--
"Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which
is why they call it the present."