[Esd-l] What file-endings should be stopped for this ?

Tommy Lindqvist tommy.lindqvist at space.se
Wed Feb 27 07:05:01 PST 2002

Yes,
the mp3 files are obvious choices for this. Mainly what I was wondering is
what other file endings may be used.

If I underkstood the report correctly, it is script sequences for
Real Player that is used, so both Mediaplayer of version 7+ and Real player
would be vulnerable to next generation SirCamm.

( If I remember correctly, SirCamm fooled the (non)existant security
in Outlook by calling itself audio/wav even though it was a .exe file. )

Here comes a perfectly valid mediafile correctly identified as audio/wav,
and the correct application is launched, and then the script starts to run.

Thus the need to poison all kind of files that Mediaplayer/Realplayer opens
by default.

I do not know all of them, although a good guess would be
.wav,.mp3,.mpg

Tommy

Postmaster          /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   tommy.lindqvist at space.se