[Esd-l] HELP on a mail gateway =(

Ing Juan Pablo Feria feria at tpitic.com.mx
Sat Aug 10 10:18:01 PDT 2002

Ian, everything is clear, except

"- Create a "local user relay" entry to automatically forward any email
to your mailserver. What this really does is to forward any mail
addressed to a mailbox (i.e. the LHS of the "@") that is NOT in
/etc/passwd - so "root at example.com" will arrive at the relay..."

This is the same to add this line to my sendmail.cf in the procmail
filter BOX:

replace "DS" with "DSimail.domain.com" (Where "imail.domain.com" is the
hostname of the protected server)
(this is a "smart host" configuration) or is another configuration, i
didnt find any "local user relay" in the Sendmail help, FAQ nor CF file.

I promise i will create an "procmail gateway for dummies" document with
all your help...

Thanks all again for your help.

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 12:17, Ian Castle wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 23:29, Ing Juan Pablo Feria wrote:
> > I m trying to create a mail-gw  to protect an i-mail server with the
> > document included on pm-sanitizer, but i have a question, how does my
> > sendmail box the address of my imail box?
>

> The first thing to do is to get your sendmail box working nicely as a
> relay *before* trying to adapt it for email santising.
>
> A simple approach is to
>
> - Make your relay machine know about your domain by putting an entry in
> the sendmail.cw (local-host-names as it is called in recent versions).
>
> - Create a "local user relay" entry to automatically forward any email
> to your mailserver. What this really does is to forward any mail
> addressed to a mailbox (i.e. the LHS of the "@") that is NOT in
> /etc/passwd - so "root at example.com" will arrive at the relay...
>
> - Make sure that you allow relaying from your email server so that
> outgoing mail is delivered (/etc/mail/access).
>
> - Set up your relay as the smart host on your mail/smtp server
>
> - It is also good to have  an MX record for your domain pointing at your
> relay
>
> Note that if your domain is "example.com" and your relay is
> "relay.example.com" and your postoffice server is "pop.example.com" then
> mail addressed to "fred at example.com" will arrive at the mail server as
> "fred at pop.example.com" so it is important that the destination
> recognises these as a local address.
>
> Once you've got this set up you can follow the setup instructions for
> the sanitizer as a relay.

                                    Ing. Juan Pablo Feria Gomez
                            Soporte Tecnico en sistemas de fuente
abierta
                                  Transportes Pitic S.A. de C.V.
ICQ Uin: 2149711
Ring-ring://259000 Ext 3115
mailto:feria at tpitic.com.mx
Linux user #251393 on the Linux counter project

The software said Windows95 or better, so I got a Mac...